Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a systems approach, establishing the social culture and behavioral supports needed for schools to be effective learning environments for all students.
It utilizes three tiers of intervention. These represent the same three tiers as Response to Intervention (RTI) for academics. PBIS is the Behavior side of the triangle.
Evidence Based Features of PBIS:
- District Leadership Planning to help districts establish commitments and agreements to maximize implementation efforts;
- Coach and Evaluation Training to build local capacity to coach team implementation, systems coordination, and carry out evaluation plans;
- School Team Training to develop and implement systems of Tier 1 and 2 Interventions;
- Evaluation Report : Conduct performance assessments to monitor school and district progress related to SW-PBIS implementation and outcomes and guide action planning;
- Train staff in utilization of the School Wide Information System (SWIS); and
- Coordinate PBIS Assessments for ongoing monitoring.